Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Baby Bib Card and a Quilt

Someone at church is due to have a baby girl today.  I made a quilt and gave it to her on Mother's Day.  And, of course, I had to make a baby card to go along with it.

I CASEd the card from this one.  When I pinned it on Pinterest, I presumed the oval and scallop oval were framelits.  Well - they are, just not like I thought.  The scallop oval framelit in the set is too big.  So for this scallop oval, the original creator cut a plain oval and used the scallop edge punch and went around the edge; 2 or 3 scallops at a time.  I read that and thought "ugh! no thanks!".  But I wanted this card so I gave it a try and it wasn't that terribly difficult to do.  I don't want to do it often though!  Now that I've told you, you probably see how wonky my scallops are.  But did you notice before?



Card Stock:  pretty in pink (retiring), whisper white, subtles dsp stack
Other:  ovals framelits, perfect polka dot ef, big shot, small heart punch, 7/8" scallop circle punch, 3/4" circle punch, dimensionals, occasions paper piercing pack, piercing tool and mat.


And this is the quilt I made for her.  It was a sunny day - I might have gotten a little carried away with the pictures.  


I made it like this one on Craftsy.  Very simple!

The fabric is Tidbits by Kari Ramsay of Fresh Cut Quilts for Henry Glass & Co.  I bought a fat quarter bundle (12 fat quarters) at my Local Quilt Shop.  I bought a large enough cut of cream fabric that I wouldn't have to piece those strips.  That and the fat quarters produced enough leftovers that I have enough fabric to make another quilt (just need 2 yards for backing and binding).

I free motion quilted the flower pattern.  It's free hand (no template or pattern).  I followed this tutorial. I used a couple of big scraps of fabric with some batting to practice a couple of flowers.  Of course that always goes more smoothly than on the real quilt.  ☺  I have decided, though, that it's easier to take the plunge and try something new on a quilt top that is small and was quick to piece.  Not as much at risk.  

This is my first quilt to make and give away (except to my grand kids) and I always thought I would prewash them so they would be crinkly and soft and ready for snuggling.  But I didn't know if the mama was going to use special detergent for baby laundry.  So I warned her that it's normal for it to wrinkle up. 

I hope she loves it!









I started learning to piece quilt tops last year.  In January this year, I bought a quilting sewing machine so I could so the quilting.  I have now finished 6 quilts!   With stamping and quilting, I barely have time for cleaning and cooking anymore!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails