Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Operation Write Home Update


Many of you that read my blog are also Stampin' Up! customers and attended my Open House in July.  I thought I would give you an update on the cards I had for sale, and also explain it to anyone who couldn't make it that day.

Operation Write Home (formerly known as Cards for Heroes) is an organization that gathers and sends handmade greeting cards to deployed soldiers to help them keep in touch with friends and family at home.  Apparently our cards are very popular.  OWH just mailed out their 500,000th card.  Check out their website here.  Near the top of the website, is a row of blue buttons.  One is "blog" - read the Hero blog (or just click here).  Every time I read responses from soldiers and/or family, I get choked up.  It's amazing the difference a simple card can make!

So back to my recent open house.  I cleaned out my card stash and eliminated about 350 cards.  I occasionally do this and mail the cards to OWH.  This time, I decided to sell them at my open house for $.75 each (a bargain, right?) and send all of the proceeds to OWH; they need funds for supplies and postage to get the cards to the troops.  I left the cards out for one Stamp-A-Stack before totalling it all up.  When it was all over, I had about 125 cards left that I mailed to them along with a check for $150.  Thank you for your help!!  Each week, OWH posts a list of cardmakers that contributed for the week.  Check out number 32 on the list for this "Thankful Thursday". 

The next time you're stamping, how about making a few extra cards for our heroes?

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails